Friday, February 15, 2013

Today's Lesson


I've written about Obakki before, particularly regarding how I love the designs but can't personally bear the thought of buying a piece because of what band is connected to the label. Petty, perhaps, but that's my problem, not yours. However, as I continued to follow Obakki's Facebook even after I found out about this unfortunate connection, a post prompted me to revisit the Obakki website, which has made me reconsider my stance. When I first discovered the label, I believe that 100% of the profits from only one seasonless collection went to a humanitarian campaign. Now, 100% of the profits from all of the collections go to the various humanitarian projects Obakki is heading. In fact, Obakki is a non-profit organization where, as the website says, "fashion is [their] main fundraising vehicle...Whether you buy Obakki product or make a donation to the Foundation, you know your money is going where it's needed right now." That coupled with this amazing paneled silk and viscose/modal button-up (made in Canada, of course), the design of which is inspired by the conflict in the Sudan, and the profits from the sale of which go to building wells in South Sudan. It's pricey, but that's not really the point. As long as I don't have to buy a certain band's albums to contribute to the effort, I think I can rethink my previous position.


Related Posts