Saturday, September 29, 2012

yohj JUN viv: S/S 13



Perhaps only hinted at by the neon wigs of last season, Junya Watanabe's S/S 13 collection completely took me by surprise. I've never seen this side of Mr. Watanabe before (or at least I can't remember ever have seeing it). And, quite honestly, if it weren't from Junya, I wouldn't have bothered looking through all 57 looks. I do not like this much colour, I only wear running shoes when exercising, and I dropped the sporty look after grade 9 (i.e. I'm not Susie Bubble - she's going to eat this collection up!). Having said that, I'm quite curious as to why Junya went in such a different direction than...all his other collections. It's true that I'm not always a fan of his non-outerwear, so it's not a huge deal that those looks don't float my boat, but I feel that these would be more expected in a Comme des Garçons collection than in his own. And, speaking of outerwear, there are only a couple coats resembling his signature style that keeps me coming back each season (see below), rather than an entire section of the show. At the risk of sounding hypocritical, Mr. Watanabe, how do we decipher this collection? Regardless of the answer, I believe that Stella McCartney for Adidas now has competition. Oh, and if you're wondering what I'm talking about, I obviously didn't post the colourful/sporty stuff (i.e. 99% of the collection) here. Click here to do that, if you're interested.


(Photos via Style.com)


Related Posts