Saturday, January 30, 2010

Angelika Werth



Sorry about the tumbleweed rolling across the screen yesterday. It was just one of those days where nothing yet everything mattered, and where I was extremely bored but didn't want to do anything. I'm afraid my shift work job is taking quite a toll on my mind, and sometimes just need to eat some curry, drink some tea, and stare off into the distance. Or catch up on a tv show that I seemed to have forgotten about a season and a half ago. Sigh. Today though, I have a couple of great finds for you. And then I'm off to go edit the two interviews I have sitting in my inbox, both of the Swedish persuasion...

So, first off, while sitting at the salon this morning for my bi-monthly dose of inkiness, I was happily flipping through a local magazine called Parlour, which is one of my favorite free reads and new mags that I've found (you can read the issues online here). My eyes instantly widened when I turned that page to an article on a German-born, Canada-based artist/designer by the name of Angelika Werth. Angelika's training and educational background in dress-making began in Germany and Paris, including working for Yves Saint Laurent. Her wearable art has been and is featured in multiple exhibitions including permanent collections in Canada, the US, and Japan. The photos below are of her hand-felted creations from her collection entitled the Madeleines, which are "costumes for historical figures and their imaginary engagement in athletic activity." And the photo above (click to enlarge) is of a spectacular dress made of old British Columbia Pioneer tents which, "if suspended from a tree branch they could revert back to shelter." Amazing.


Angelika also teaches a wide variety of courses on pattern design, draping, deconstruction/reconstruction (I wish she had more photos on her website of her work in this!), tailoring, corsetry, etc. I think I might have to get in on one of her workshops if it means I could gain even an ounce of her genius-ness...


Related Posts